Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

I really enjoyed this book, although I don't think I can say that I loved it. I'm not really sure why, which is kind of strange. I think I really loved certain parts of the story, but I guess if I had to say, I think a tiny bit of the magic was lost when they were sewn together to make the whole. At least, for me.

I loved the sisters, and really loved the relationship between Rosaleen and Lily. I think my biggest issue was with the incident that kicked the whole story off. I had a hard time believing that Rosaleen would have dumped her icky spit on that man's boots. I know gaining the right to vote would have been huge to her, but I don't think it would have brought about that remarkable of a change in her wariness towards white men of that nature.

Overall I really enjoyed the book. I would love to read a sequel and hear all about Lily and Zach's future.

P.S. I still don't think Lily killed her mother, accidentally or otherwise. I think T. Ray did it.

P.P.S. I LOVED the movie.

No comments: